- Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
- Ad-Aware Personal Security
- Ad-Aware Pro Security
- Ad-Aware Total Security
- Ad-Aware Business Security
- PC Tuneup
- Data Security
- Trial Center
- Security Center
- English ▾
- Contact Us
Lavasoft FAQ pages
How to run a scan
You can run:
- quick scan
- full scan
- custom scan
- right-click scan
To perform a scan of any type, on the left menu, click Scan Computer. With the screen displayed, click an option of your choice:
- Quick Scan to launch a quick scan.
- Full Scan to launch a full scan.
Alternatively, to run a quick scan, on the Home screen, click the Scan button.
To perform a Custom Scan, proceed through the steps listed below:
- On the left menu, click Scan Computer.
- With the screen displayed, click the Custom Scan.
- On the Custom Scan Settings screen, specify scan option(s), as needed, by selecting corresponding check box(es).
- To select a drive/a folder/a file to scan, click the Add button and specify a drive/a folder/a file to be scanned.
- To remove an item from the Paths section, select the check box and click the Remove button.
- Once you are done, click Start Scan to launch a custom scan.
You can start the Context Menu scan. For the purpose, right-click one or more files or folders from Windows Explorer, and then click Scan with Ad-Aware to run a scan.
Once you start scanning, the balloon appears notifying you that the Context Menu scan has been started. Click the View details link to open the application on the Scan Computer screen.
Your selected scan begins to run. A scan progress screen displays. You can view the progress of the scan. Pause the scan by clicking the Pause button. To resume the scan after a pause, click the Resume button. If you want to cancel scanning, click the Stop button.
You can right-click one or more files or folders from Windows Explorer to run a scan.
After the scan is performed or canceled, and no threats are found, Ad-Aware Antivirus opens the Scan Complete screen.
Once a scan of any type is completed, a balloon appears with a corresponding notification.
If you have performed a Quick Scan, the Scan Complete screen always displays even if any threats were found. If any threat is found during the Quick Scan, it is automatically deleted.
If risks are found, the Scan Summary screen displays the detected risks for which you can select the following clean actions:
- Quarantine. Sends risks to the Quarantine folder and prevents possible infection of files on your computer.
- Ignore. No action will be applied to the detected risks.
- Delete. Removes risks permanently from the system.
- Disinfect. Attempts to remove infection from detected files.
If Disinfect action is applied to infected files, but program cannot remove the malicious code from them, such files are automatically deleted.
At a point in time when a threat is detected, a balloon appears with a corresponding notification.
To apply an action to a threat, select the required clean action from the drop-down combo box next to this threat.
To apply an action to all threats, select an option of your choice from the drop-down combo box next to the Clean button.
The action applied to each threat by default is Recommended that implies Quarantine.
To go to the folder where the file is located, click the threat on the list and then click the directory link below the threat:
Click the Clean button to start cleaning the risks based on the set action. You can view the progress of the cleaning process. Pause cleaning files by clicking the Pause button. To resume cleaning after a pause, click the Resume button. If you want to cancel cleaning, click the Stop button.
If no action is applied to risks found, Scan Summary displays each time you navigate to the Scan Computer screen or try perform a new scan.
Once the risks are cleaned, the Scan Complete screen displays the summary and details of the scan. Your computer is now clean of viruses and malware.
With the Scan Complete screen, you can view report by clicking the corresponding command button.
- View Reports;
- Scan Again – to run the scan of the scope you have recently selected;
- New Scan – to run the scan of a different scope.
If the risks are quarantined, disinfected or deleted, message appears for users of Free Antivirus. It shows the exact number of blocked threats and gives an opportunity to visit Lavasoft official page on Facebook, to write a review on CNET or to buy Ad-Aware Pro version for discounted price. After following one of the links within the message box, it does not appear next time.