- Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
- Ad-Aware Personal Security
- Ad-Aware Pro Security
- Ad-Aware Total Security
- Ad-Aware Business Security
- PC Tuneup
- Data Security
- Trial Center
- Security Center
- English ▾
- Contact Us
Lavasoft FAQ pages
How to install
The installation process of Ad-Aware allows you to select the nature of installation that suits your needs the best:
- Express Install: An intelligent installation mode that automatically determines what to install for optimal configuration adapted to your PC.
- Compatible Install: Installation as a second line of defense if you already have another antivirus on the PC. Ad-Aware then enhances a protection by defaulting to Compatible Mode, adding a second layer of protection.
Moreover, you have an option to install Safe Browsing Add-on and select an application language.
You can install the application in less than ten steps. Time to get started!
To start the installation, locate and click the link to download a file.
When prompted, save the installer file.
Once the download is complete, go to the downloaded path and double-click the installation file to launch an Ad-Aware Web Installer.
The Ad-Aware Web Installer downloads and runs the Ad-Aware Updater.
The Ad-Aware Updater does not run if you have a version of Windows Installer earlier than 4.5. Mostly, Windows XP users can face the problem. Your system is updated automatically. Wait until the installation process is completed. Afterwards, the Ad-Aware Updater automatically runs.
Follow the prompts within the installer to complete the installation of Ad-Aware.
1. Start by selecting the language you prefer to use for the installation process from the drop-down combo box at the right of the dialog displayed.
In addition, you can change the default application installation directory by clicking the Browse button.
Warning: You are not allowed to manually type the directory into the text box.
With the screen, you can also create a desktop icon by selecting the corresponding check box.
2. We strongly recommend to read the End-User License Agreement carefully before downloading, installing and using Ad-Aware. To read the antivirus software document, click a corresponding link on the screen:
3. Then select an install type depending on your needs:
- Click Compatible Install to install the application as a second line of defense if you already have another antivirus on the PC or you prefer to use the Scan Computer option only.
- Click Express Install to install the application with default settings. The default destination folder to install the application is C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\
Once you click Compatible Install, the following message box displays:
Click Yes to accept the prompt.
If an incompatible program is detected, Ad-Aware antivirus installation as a 2nd line of defense starts. No drivers are installed. If any Ad-Aware drivers were installed earlier, they are removed.
If the prompt is accepted and no incompatible program is detected, the installation continues and no drivers are installed. If any Ad-Aware drivers were installed earlier, they are removed.
Once you click Express Install, you are proposed to install additional downloads for your browser: Safe Browsing Add-on and/or PasswordBox.
If you have the downloads already installed on your PC, Ad-Aware Antivirus installation starts immediately by clicking Express Install.
The Express Install button is not available if Ad-Aware has detected any incompatible software. Then you have only an option to install Ad-Aware in the Compatible mode.
4. You can install an additional download for your browser both for Compatible and Express install: Safe Browsing Add-on. On the screen that displays, select a preferred option(s) and click Next to proceed.
If you do not want to install the toolbar, make Lavasoft SecureSearch your browser's default search provider or set new tabs and homepage as Lavasoft SecureSearch, click Skip, or unselect corresponding check boxes, and then click Next.
If you have Ad-Aware toolbar already installed on your PC, the screen does not display.
5. Moreover, you are proposed to install a special edition of PasswordBox to obtain an option to automatically log in to your favorite sites. On the screen that displays, click Next to proceed.
If you do not want to install PasswordBox, click Skip, or unselect the check box and then click Next.
If you have PasswordBox already installed on your PC, the screen does not display.
Ad-Aware Browsing Protection, which blocks phishing and malware sites, is installed together with Ad-Aware Antivirus as a standalone module. It is present in the Programs and Features list in Control Panel.
5. You can see the Ad-Aware installation process in progress.
6. Afterwards, the Ad-Aware Service is initialized.
7. Definition Files then start downloading.
If you skip the step, definition files continue downloading in the background. To see the downloading process, launch the application after its installation.
8. Once Definition Files are downloaded, they are applied.
9. After applying Definition Files, your computer is scanned for viruses. A quick automatic scan starts.
If you skip the step, a quick scan is performed in the background. To see the scanning process, launch the application after its installation. Once the scan is completed, the balloon appears notifying you that the scan is complete and proposing you to view details.
10. Congratulations! The Ad-Aware application has been successfully installed on your PC.
11. To complete the installation, you must restart your computer. With the screen displayed, click Reboot Now.
Your computer reboots and Ad-Aware is completely installed.
If you have installed Ad-Aware in the Compatible mode, reboot is not required.